Saturday, March 05, 2005

The Bartender

I went to dinner with a couple of friends last night and, after a lively conversation about their recent breakups and how we needed to get out more, we decided to head over to the dance club Home. Luckily, we happen to know a bartender there, so we skip the line and get discounted cover charges. Okay, let’s be honest here, I am the one who knows and in fact dated the bartender. Although a great guy (he does have a very good day job, but bartends on weekend nights for extra cash), we went on a few dates and things went progressively downhill. I wouldn’t hear from him for a couple of weeks and then get a drunk phone call at 3am asking if he could come over or that he loved me or whatever was on his drunken mind at the time. If I didn’t answer, he would just keep calling over and over again, leaving a message every third or fourth call (this is not an exaggeration)! But, all in all, he is a good time, and I enjoy flirting with him. And, hell, the free booze and priority service doesn’t hurt either!

I never quite know how he will react when he sees me after several months of no contact, but he is always the same, genuine, sweet guy. He gets me a drink, asks what’s new, if I’m married yet, asks if I miss his drunk dials, and then says he’ll call me soon to hang out. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn’t. I don’t remember the last time we hung out when he wasn’t on the back side of the bar, though … I’m guessing almost 2 years.

The night was great fun until my purse went missing. This would not have been a huge deal, except for the fact that my cell phone, my ONLY phone, was lost with it. Hard to cancel your credit cards without a phone! Luckily the one friend that hadn’t disappeared paid for our cab ride back to my place and she let me use her phone to call the credit card companies. As I was dialing the first one, though, we get a call from the other girl we were with earlier. She has my purse and my friend’s coat! She said she couldn’t find us and thought we had left, so she grabbed our stuff for us. DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA!! Maybe the Bartender was a bit too nice too all of us with those shots! It all worked out in the end my precious cell phone is back at my side. Whew! Close one.

No comments:

Post a Comment